Obama’s 23 Points for Peace…..err Gun Control
Today, President Obama, surrounded by schoolchildren, released his suggestions for increased gun control.
You have to admit, the man knows how to propagandize.
In addition to urging Congress to make stronger background checks, re-instating the assault weapons ban, and banning high capacity ammunition magazines, Obama unveiled his 23 actions that he will undertake via executive order. Highlights include:
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
So, HIPAA has suddenly become a barrier to prevent the Federal government from keeping tabs on us. No more doctor-patient confidentiality. The information has to be shared in the database, like that would never get out.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
Who is determine what “dangerous” is? There are many types of dangerous. There are many who get placed on the “no-fly” list that don’t belong there. Do you really expect me to believe that so called dissidents and Obama’s enemies won’t arrive on that list?
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
This is supposed to accomplish what, exactly? I think the robbery in New York where the thieves used the Journal News’ database to target a house showed that they work. The thieves tried to break into a gun safe, and were unsuccessful.
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
They don’t do this already?
11. Nominate an ATF director.
Because ATF can’t shoot innocent people and burn down houses without a director! Or run guns to the Mexican drug cartel!
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
Because up until now, we haven’t maximized our efforts. What is this supposed to do, exactly?
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
So now, gun violence is a disease?
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
The ACA does not prohibit doctors from asking about guns in the home, but it supposedly prevents them from using that info to charge more, and share it with the Federal government. In other words, Obama is asking doctors to break his own law.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
I thought “armed guards” at schools was a bad idea? I know, Resource officers does not necessarily mean armed guard, but many are armed.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
The two things Obama knows the most about; campaigns and dialogues.
I mean, monologues.
What does this all mean? Another half a billion in spending, of course, while some estimates run as high as $4.5 billion.
And we’re off! It’s a race to $1.5 Trillion!